If you are someone born after the ’90s, the term online dating should not surprise you. Online dating started with a handful of American dating sites and apps and is now a full-blown world with an app/website available for everyone.
The busy schedules in the hustle culture barely leave any time for people to meet each other. The pandemic has only added to the difficulties of meeting people in real life. The pros of online dating have made it a necessary evil for people who struggle to meet someone in real life. Like most other things in life, online dating is not about one-size-fits-all, which is why there now exist a sea of options to choose from according to your requirements.
What are Dating Sites?
As the name suggests, dating sites are websites specially created for dating. They are a platform for people to meet online and find someone to date. The concept of online dating sites originated with Match.com, the first American dating site created by Gary Kremen, a pioneer in online dating. The websites are mostly compatible with computers, phones, tablets, etc. You must sign up for the website and create a profile to connect with the other registered users. They were developed to help people pursue romantic relationships beyond the ambit of their place of study/work, which was the norm in those days.
What are Dating Apps?
Dating apps are a one-up version of dating sites. Like dating sites, dating apps are mobile applications created to help people meet online and date. These applications are compatible with phones, tablets, etc., and are super convenient. Unlike a few years ago, when you could count the number of dating apps at your fingertips, the benefits of online dating have made it come a long way. We now have multiple dating apps with multiple features curated to meet the varying needs of the modern world. Different dating apps now exist for college students, the elderly, people into fitness, etc.
How do Dating Sites and Apps Work?
Dating sites are websites created for online dating. All you have to do is create a profile and answer the questions provided by the website. You see the profiles of other people that have registered themselves and get in touch with them by sending them a message. Different websites use different algorithms, so whom you see depends on the website’s algorithm.
Dating apps, too, work similarly. Users have to download an app(s) of their choice, create their profiles, and choose someone to interact with/date from the other application users. The apps use different algorithms as well. Some apps help people meet others living in the same location; others help you meet people with shared interests; some match you with people traveling to the same place, etc.
To sum up, the user interface, algorithms, and other factors related to the functioning of apps/websites differ, but they work in terms of helping people interact with and date each other.
Which is more convenient for modern singles: dating sites or dating apps?
The one thing that comes to the mind of a person that gets to know about the pros of online dating is whether they should use a dating site or a dating app. The answer to the question mentioned above depends on personal choice.
Online dating sites are simple and accommodate more users without filtering them too much. You mostly see profiles of people in your area with whom you share similar interests. However, dating apps may be as specific as you want to be. However, most dating apps, too, show you the single people around you and help you find someone.
The Benefits of Online Dating
- Convenience: One of the primary pros of online dating is that it is very convenient. You can take the time out to meet people organically anywhere. You can now do that in the comfort of your home anytime.
- Works Best for Introverts: Nobody understands the pressure of conversing with a stranger better than introverts. Online dating allows them to interact with people while being behind a screen and meeting them if and when they feel comfortable.
- Shared Interests- Getting to see the interests of an individual is one of the many benefits of online dating. You can decide if you want to talk to a person by seeing their interests and avoiding uncomfortable silences that are c
- Safety: Most major dating sites and apps need user verification. They also have the option for users to link their social media accounts to their profiles, which makes them a safer option. The users can thus find out about their mutual and other commonalities, making online dating more secure than meeting someone in real life.
- No Unnecessary Interactions: You only interact with people that you match with. One of the biggest pros of online dating is avoiding unnecessary interactions, unlike sitting in a café/bar.
Dating Sites v/s Dating Apps
- User Interface: The apps usually have a better and more interactive user interface than the dating sites
- Accessibility: Accessibility is one of the biggest pros of online dating apps. These apps exist on your phone and may be accessed with as little effort as a tap.
- Speed of Communication: The speed of communication depends upon the usage. You might be using the site at the same time as another user and have a conversation at a decent speed, but that is quite tough to maintain for busy bees. Dating apps send you notifications, and you can instantly respond to a user without having them wait.
- Features: The number of features on different apps and sites differ. However, it is a common notion that dating apps have more interesting profiles with more filters, fun questions, and the audio/video calls feature.
- Privacy: Dating sites offer users more privacy, as many websites do not need users to verify their identities. These sites work best for introverts to help them enhance their conversational skills without letting the world know their real identity. However, this pro can very well turn into a con, so users must be careful.
The convenience of dating sites and apps depends on the user’s requirements. You will do well with dating apps if you barely find the time to interact with people. However, if you take out the time to specifically be on the website, dating sites would work for you. Similarly, dating apps are better for people who are constantly on the go as they rarely have the time to sit at a computer and look at profiles, owing to their busy schedules. Before choosing one of the two, please step back and think about what you want from the online dating experience and how you want to go about it. Once you clarify these aspects, you will know if dating sites are better than dating apps for modern singles who want to get into online dating.