You can use this article to write great essays from the start to the end. Typically, students or prospective essay writers are only given basic information on how to write such papers, and most of it concentrates on formatting details. These details are important, but it is clear that writing is much more than just formatting. If you write your essay according to this guide and follow each step, you will receive at least a very good paper.
What is an essay, and why to write it?
An essay is a relatively short text on a specific topic. An essay is a short text written by someone in an attempt to research a topic or answer a question. In most cases, students only write an essay because their teacher requires it. Therefore, students think that essays are important primarily to demonstrate their knowledge to a teacher or professor. This is an understandable and dangerous mistake (although writing texts for demonstration skills can be practically necessary.)
The main reason for writing an essay is to formulate and organize an informed, coherent, understandable, and complex set of ideas about something important. It can be a difficult task for an average student. If you are in doubt about how to properly present your ideas, then you need to order an essay sample on special writing services. One such service is EssayShark. You can order a sample of any topic you like there. To know more about the service, check out the EssayShark review.
Plan and structure of an essay
Usually, the essay plan looks like this:
- The student presents theses in the shape of thoughts and ideas.
- The thought must be supported by evidence – therefore, arguments follow the thesis.
Your arguments can be in the form of facts, events, life experience, scientific evidence, references to the scientists’ opinions, etc. It is better to give two arguments in favor of each thesis: one argument seems unconvincing. Three arguments can “overload” the presentation made in a genre focused on brevity and imagery.
The essay consists of the following parts
- Main body with theses and arguments to them
Take into account the following points:
- The introduction presents the topic, and the conclusion summarizes it.
- It is necessary to highlight paragraphs, establish a logical connection between them: this is how the integrity of the paper is achieved.
Some common features of the essay can be identified:
- Small volume.
- A specific topic and its subjective interpretation. The topic of the essay is always specific. An essay cannot contain many topics. It should present the answer to one question.
- Ease of narration. It is important for the author of the essay to establish a personal style of communication with the reader; to be understood, they avoid deliberately complicated, unclear, overly strict constructions. A good essay can only be written by someone who is fluent in the topic, sees it from different angles, and is ready to present the reader with not an exhaustive but multidimensional view of the phenomenon that became the starting point of his or her reflections.
- Internal semantic unity. Perhaps this is one of the paradoxes of the essay. Free in composition, focused on subjectivity, the essay, at the same time, has an internal semantic unity, i.e., the consistency of key theses and statements, the inner harmony of arguments and associations, the consistency of those judgments in which the author’s personal position is expressed.
- Essays are limited to a certain number of words, so you need to use this volume wisely. Sometimes this means giving up some ideas or details, especially if they have already been mentioned somewhere or are not directly related to the topic. Such things only distract the attention of the reader and obscure the main topic of the essay.
- If you are writing an argumentative essay, you should express your own opinion on the problem posed in the topic, agreeing or disagreeing with the position (I agree with the author’s opinion …, I share the author’s point of view …, the author’s position is close to me, quite understandable …).
- If you want to get a good grade, it is important to submit a unique paper. If you are not sure how to do it, check our tips for preventing plagiarism.
In the modern world, essay writing is considered commonplace; however, without a good guide, this process can be rather difficult. I hope that this article has helped you understand how to cope with your essay correctly. Good luck!