Charminar Hyderabad – History, Architecture, Facts

Charminar

The word Charminar in English translates to ‘four minarets. The splendid structure of Charminar was built in the year 1591. That was ages back. But still, the magnificent structure stands, intact as if it was built yesterday. It is a historical monument which is very beautifully constructed. Additionally, it has a mosque built inside it. This beautiful monument is located at Hyderabad.

The Charminar has become a global landmark attracting tons of tourists. After being still at the same place, right as it was 400 years back, it still manages to be included in the list of top and best monuments in India. What makes it even better is the market that surrounds the monument. The festival of Ramadan is celebrated with great rejoice at this place.

Where is it Based Exactly?

The historical monument of Charminar is based on the east side of the river ‘Musi’. On the west, it is decorated with the Laad Bazaar. While on the Southwest direction of the Charminar, there’s a beautiful and eye-catching granite structured Makkah Masjid. It has successfully managed to get in the list of historic structures which has been a great interest to archaeological studies and research over a few decades. The English name of the structure is a combination of pleasing Urdu words Charminar, which means four pillars. The self-titled minarets are constructed conjoined to four massive arches which make even more robust.

Also Read: History of the Red Fort, Delhi

The Chronicle of Charminar

The history of Charminar can be traced back in 1591 the eye-catching and splendid, marvelous structure of the Charminar was constructed. It was built by the fifth emperor of the Qutb Shah regime, Quli Qutb Mohamed Shah. And the monument was built right after the emperor shifted his capital from Golconda to Hyderabad, Telangana. The ASI which stands for the Archaeological Survey of India states that there are numerous theories behind the reason for the Char Minar being erected.

The fact is that the monument was built at the heart of the city to celebrate the elimination of Cholera, which was spreading like wildfire at that time. Being the ruler, king, and emperor of the time Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah continued to pray for night and day for putting an end to the disease that killed a population that accounted to be thousands.

However, the ruler Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah had taken an oath to construct a Mosque on the spot which he used to pray as claimed by Jean de Thévenot, a globetrotter of the 17th century whose narrative was augmented with the available Persian inscribing. The inscription stated that the Char Minar was completed in 1591 to celebrate the beginning of the second millennium year (AH 10000).

The phenomenon is commemorated in the world of Islam. The ruler Qutb Shah discovered the city to commemorate the occasion of the structure is accomplished. Because of the layout of the structure, it is also known as Triomphe of the east (victory on the east).

About the construction

The Charminar was established at the crossroad of the ancient trade that anchors the hawk of Golconda along with the Machilipatnam port city. The ancient city of Hyderabad was plotted with the Charminar as the high spot. The city was broadened throughout the Charminar in 4 different chambers and quadrants. It has been isolated based on the established settlements.

The monument was alone destined to cater as a Madrasa and Mosque. It is a splendid structure built in Indo-Islamic style, blending Persian elements of architecture. A fact was coming from a professor named Masud Hussain Khan that the completion of the Charminar was in 1592, in the city of Hyderabad which was discovered in the year 1591.

The Framework of Charminar

The mosque of Charminar is boxed architecture with a dimension of 20 meters in length. The four grandiose archway decorates this. So each of these arches is positioned as the natural opening to the crossroad. Each minaret being flawlessly carved minaret with a height of 156 feet with a dual balcony. And each of the minarets is inducted by an elliptical dome with the lacy-neat petal-like layout at the end. The four fluted minarets are erected which comes under the original structure. In total, there are steps in the winding layout that reaches the upper floor.

All in All

There is a whole lot to be told about the structure, which is humongous splendid. Being a marvelously built structure, it boasts the Nawab style of architecture. The monument was only constructed as a vow taken before the Almighty, to remove the deadly disease of Plague.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *