Books are escaped for those who do not believe in the chaos of this world. In India with billions of population and millions of books, it gets difficult to choose the best novels to read. Though every book is unique and special in its own way but we have the list of top 10 must read books of all time. These are the best selling or award-winning books that will blow your mind once you read them. In the end, you will find a list of more books that you can read but here is the must read book list.
1. Train to Pakistan: – When we talk about the books by Indian authors, this book by Khushwant Singh is the first name that comes into your mind. This book reveals the story of the partition of India and Pakistan. The story is a huge effort to bring a reflection of the society, the stories against religions. The book is as important for today’s generation as it would have been for those in 1947. It is one of the must read novels. But beware if you read, it has no happy ending.
2. The Great Indian Novel: – India is the largest democracy and the most entertaining subject in India is politics. Whenever there is a discussion regarding political books, Shashi Tharoor books are the perfect one to read. This book has presented Indian politics with some crisp of Mahabharata. If politics interests you, this is a must read book for you.
3. A Suitable Boy: – The book by author Vikram Seth is considered a gem of the Indian contemporary literature. The book is very long but every page is worth reading it. It is one of the best novel to read as it goes to the depth of the Indian society and has a taste similar to that of munshi premchandra stories.
4. The God of Small Things: – This is Arundhati Roy’s debut novel. It is another one of the must read novels that won Booker prize. Its injustice to read the book in one go but you will feel the pain and enjoy the happiness of the characters. The writing and the literature is marvelous and it truly deserves a Booker prize.
5. A Fine Balance: – This is another great book that is written about the period of “the emergency” during the tenure of Indira Gandhi as a Prime Minister. The story revolves around the four major characters of the novel that reflects the Indian society back then in 1975.
6. Palace of Illusions: – We all have heard about Mahabharata and we all know it is a book to read in a lifetime. But this very book by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is another epic book which dictates the same story of Mahabharata with the narration of Draupadi. The story of Draupadi is Untold in the old epic but Divakaruni has told the story of Panchali tactfully in this great book.
7. Midnight’s Children: – Here we have another must read book and Booker prize winner by Salman Rushdie. The book also won the “Booker of bookers” award twice. The book portrays the journey of India from British rule to Independence and the partition of India and Pakistan. The book is a gem of Indian Literature and it has also been included in the list of 100 books to read before you die.
8. White Tiger: – The book has a thrilling first-person narrative with the perspective of a young man stricken by poverty. Balaram Halwai, the narrator of the book moves from a small village to Delhi to work as a chauffeur for the elite. This book by Arvind Adiga touches the social issues of India. It also won the Booker prize award being the debut novel of the author.
9. Q & A: – This great novel by Vikas Swarup has been adapted into a movie very well known as “Slumdog Millionaire”. The book is about a waiter boy who won the most famous Indian quiz show only to be sent to prison being accused of cheating. The movie won several Oscars and book was also nominated for the “Commonwealth Writer’s” Prize.
10. The Guide: – The Guide is a great Indian book by R. K. Narayan, the most sold and celebrated author of India. The story portrays the story of the fictional city Malgudi created by Narayan. It reveals the story of a corrupt tour guide Railway Raju and the series of events happened with him. Ultimately, he turns into a spiritual guide and one of the holy man in India.
This is the list of top 10 book by India authors you must read once in your lifetime.