India is a country known for its rich culture. It is equally famous for its ancient and historical monuments. When we think about the famous monuments in India, there is this long never ending list because each and every building here has its own story to be told.
Here, you will find a complete detail of all monuments of India that you must see at least once. With such vast land and even better heritage, it gets difficult to select which Indian monuments to see and which not.
Let’s go through the list of all the important monuments of India and later you will get a detailed description of most of them.
1.Taj Mahal, Agra, Madhya Pradesh.
2. Gateway of India, Mumbai, Maharashtra
3. India Gate, New Delhi
4. Hawa Mahal, Jaipur, Rajasthan
5. Victoria Memorial, Kolkata, West Bengal.
6. Lotus Temple, New Delhi.
7. Qutub-Minar, New Delhi.
8. Hampi, Karnataka.
9. Jama Masjid, Delhi.
10. Jantar Mantar, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
So these were some ancient monuments of India that have caught millions of eyes of the visitors since many decades. You should not miss these famous monuments of India’s.
1. Taj Mahal: – Taj Mahal has been one of the finest sites to be watched in India. It has been enlisted in the seven wonders of the world. The monument built with white marble appears so pure. It was completed in 1648 and its architecture makes it one of the most beautiful monuments in the world. Not just the architecture, the story behind this precious monument makes the visit more beautiful.
2.Gateway of India: – Gateway has been a very important part of Indian history. It was built in 1924 to welcome King George-V. Since then, it has witnessed all the major happenings in India. It has witnessed India’s Independence March and has also witnessed the 26/11 attack. It makes a visit to Mumbai more precious by its stories as is a must visit Indian monument.
3.India Gate: – This famous monument was built in 1931 and it was dedicated to all 70,000 soldiers who lost their lives in World War-1. This 42metre high monument has names of all the Indian martyrs carved on it. It became more special when Indian government added Amar Jawan Jyoti after the Indo-Pak war in 1971.
4. Hawa Mahal: – Hawa Mahal, also translated as The Palace of Winds is a five-storey 15 meter tall building with so many windows. It was built by King Sawai Pratap Singh so that the women could look at the city without getting seen by other. Pratap Singh restricted them to move out and visit the city. Once you are at the top of the palace, you can have a bird’s eye view of the Jantar Mantar, City Palace and a few other monuments of Jaipur.
5. Victoria Memorial: – Victoria Memorial is the most famous building in Kolkata situated at the bank of Hoogly river. Kolkata itself is such a beautiful city that must be visited once in a life. This monument was built to commemorate Queen Elizabeth but now, it has been turned into a museum and has been taken over by the ministry of culture and is one of the finest monuments of India.
6. Lotus Temple: – Also known as Bahai Temple, it is a lotus-shaped holy center for the Bahais. It is composed of 27 free standing petal shaped marbles. It has nine doors that open up to the 40 meters tall, the center hall which can hold around 2,500 people and is a must visit Indian monument.
7.Qutub-Minar: – It is a 73m high tower built by Qutub-ud-Din Aibak. It was built after the last Hindu ruler was defeated to celebrate the Mughal rule in India. Close to the tower is the famous iron Pillar and at the foot of it is the Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque which is believed to be the first mosque built in India, it is a major historical monument of India.
8. Hampi: – It is located at near Hospet town in Karnataka. It is surrounded by the boulder-strewn hills. It’s a unique place of its kind. It comprises of 500 plus ancient monuments like palaces, temples, royal markets and so on. Hampi is also one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India.
9. Jama Masjid: – Its construction has begun in 1644. It is the holy center of Muslims in India. It has three huge gates and four towers. It has the capacity of holding 25,000 devotees and it is the largest mosque in India.
10. Jantar Mantar: – It is considered as an instrument to measure astronomical time. It was built in the tenure of Raja Jai Singh in 1728-34. It is still used for astronomical observations and it is so accurate that it is also considered as UNESCO World Heritage Site and has got a place in our list of famous Indian monuments.
Apart from this, there are many other important monuments of India that you must visit. We have mentioned some very famous and popular monuments.